A Brief History

Saint Thomas’ Catholic Primary School commenced in January 1929.  Two Sisters of the Good Samaritan taught 84 pupils on the old church verandah. For over 50 years the school was conducted by the Good Samaritan Sisters until the first lay principal, Mr Kevin Twomey, was appointed in 1985. The suburb where the school stands was originally a camping ground for people who brought the produce of the rich Redlands to the city, resting themselves and their horses overnight at what was known as East Coorparoo.

In 1916 Archbishop Duhig (whose sister and niece were Sisters of the Good Samaritan) purchased 22 acres at East Coorparoo from Mrs Maloney, the sister of T.J. Byrnes, Queensland’s first Catholic Premier.  Most of the ground was sold for subdivision and Camp Hill became the home of many wealthy families.  Fine homes were built by eminent professionals, including Clement Wragge (meteorologist), Premier McIlwraith and Judges Macrossan and Patrick Real. These are commemorated in Macrossan Avenue, McIlwraith Avenue, Judge, Patrick and Real Streets. ​